Breathing exercises are one of the many relaxation techniques we can use to manage stress, reduce blood pressure and increase our vibration daily. They are fantastic for health and wellbeing. Many people do not breath properly, meaning the oxygen does not circulate around the body as well as it could. Oxygen is nourishing and essential to the body, helping to fight free radicals and boost your immune system. It can also help you to feel alert.
So OXYGEN = GOOD.
And BREATHING PROPERLY = ESSENTIAL.
One of the ways we can improve our breathing is by using a breathing technique and one of our favorites is color breathing. The added benefit of this breathing exercise is the relaxation it brings. It is often used at the end of Yoga or Pilates classes.
Colors can also be used to help bring balance, with different colors said to evoke and promote different emotions. For example dark red is associated with passion and power, and a deep blue is thought of as calming and relaxing.
Color Breathing Relaxation Technique
- Find somewhere quiet where you won’t be disturbed and sit comfortably. Ideally you can sit as you would to meditate, however if this is not possible you can sit on a chair with your back straight and your feet planted firmly on the floor. The technique can also be done lying down if you prefer.
- Close your eyes and take a minute to go through each part of your body, making sure that your muscles are relaxed and you are not holding any tension. In particular release your shoulders, however check all of your body.
- Now bring your awareness to your breathing, just listening to the air flowing in and out, not trying to control the breathing at this stage, but just noticing the breath start to slow down as you relax. Stay at this stage until you feel fully relaxed.
- Next breath in slowly through the nose and exhale slowly through the mouth.
- Now with each ‘in’ breath imagine that you are breathing in a relaxing color. Just choose a color that you find relaxing. For most people it is usually a blue, a green or a purple. So with each breath you are breathing in that color. Feel it traveling all around your body, relaxing you as it goes.
- As you exhale imagine you are breathing out the color bright red. Feel this color red leave your body with each ‘out’ breath, and with it you are exhaling any stress or tension that you have built up during the day.
- Continue to do this for several minutes, keeping the eyes closed.
- When you are ready slowly bring your awareness back to your physical surroundings. Start by wiggling your fingers and toes, still with your eyes closed at this stage, and then when you are ready gently open your eyes. When you feel awake again you can stand up.
When you do this color breathing relaxation exercise it will leave you feeling calm, relaxed and ready for the day ahead. It can be done first thing in the morning to set you up for the day, last thing at night to help you relax and wind down, or at any time during the day if you need to de-stress.
NB: If you ever feel dizzy ever while doing the exercise you may have slowed your breathing too much, just go back to breathing normally until you feel better again.